Saturday 23 May 2015

Tomorrow land – A world beyond anything I could imagine!

Let it be known I am a dreamer.  I love Disney cause it takes you to another world.  As a child I was often told off in class cause I was such a dreamer with imagination.

Many films that try to deliver a future world are a disappointment.  This is different.  This is a gem of a film. This film will inspire.  This film will give a new generation hope.  This film will give those of us a bit older than that the spark of dreaming that is knocked out of you as an adult.
This film made me feel like I was 12 years old again and that anything is possible.  That my wildest dreams are my future.  Remember your dreams?  Before the reality of being a grownup sets in? Well this film works in so many ways…I really believe in it.

The story starts with a young boy called Frank who is a dreamer.  He wants to win an invention competition but gets more than he bargained for when he is given a pin (or badge as we say in the UK).   The pin is a way to a new world.  Tomorrow land.  It is every bit as exciting as you would imagine it to be. Especially for Frank, the dreamer.
Then we meet Casey.  A bright teenager who is an optimist.  How can we fix the world?  It’s a good and valid question but one that her teachers don’t seem to want to answer.

If you wanted adventure in your life – this film is a roller coaster of adventure.  Casey finds a pin and realises what it offers.  A glimpse of another world.  Another future.  She goes in search of another pin and finds a sci-fi shop. I like this shop.  Any geek would. It is full of star wars memorabilia (is this because Disney own the new Star Wars franchise? ) The woman has her hair like Princess Leia and there is R2D2 and Han Solo frozen from The Empire Strikes back. (I really want one of those in my hallway!)  Athena saves Casey from the shop and drops her off at Frank’s house.  I love Frank’s house.  This should be a ride at Disney cause it is just amazing.  Who would think that sitting in the bath would be an escape route from robots!
Frank is played by George Clooney and I can say this is the best part he has had since Doug in ER! You can keep The Descendants and Burn After Reading – this is my kind of film and I enjoyed his role.  Hugh Laurie (another doctor actor) plays Nix. I am not sure if he is an intentional baddie or just misguided, but he does it very well.  The girls hold the film together. Both Casey, played by Britt Robertson and Athena played by Raffey Cassidy have charisma on the screen and make you want to watch them. This really is girl power in action.

Basically the film is about saving the world.  Of course it is.  But we know it’s gonna have a happy ending.  Why? Well one – It’s a Disney film. And two – Frank and Casey are talking at the beginning of the film to introduce it.
I am an optimist.  I am a dreamer.  I loved this film with all that I am and if you still have a spark of that dreamer spirit left in you…then like me you are waiting for your pin to be delivered any day now…




 

No comments:

Post a Comment