Sunday 31 May 2015

The Sound of Music national Tour 2015. Review of show at Milton Keynes Theatre on 27 May 2015.

Where do I start with a review of the sound of music?  Who hasn’t seen this film and adored it?  It is a part of my childhood, and even as an adult there is video footage of my sister and me singing ‘so long, farewell’.  (Which will never see the likes of YouTube!).  I have never seen it on stage before and was interested to see how it works.

Well the first thing to say about this show is the sets.  Whoever designed the sets is very very talented.  They are really amazing and you realise this within the first 10 minutes of the opening scene.  The songs are not in an expected order.  I did not expect ‘favourite things’ to be sung with Maria and the Mother Superior nor did I expect Do-Re-Mi to be the first number with the children.  The lonely Goatherd was sung during the storm which again I didn’t expect but I still really enjoyed the performances.
The children are involved throughout the whole of the show and were really the stars of the future.  Absolutely outstanding performances with their acting and singing.  Liesl (played by Grace Chapman) was especially outstanding for me.  She completely captured the innocence of that difficult 16, going on 17 age.  I enjoyed her performance very much.  I also enjoyed the performances of Max Detweiler (played by Howard Samuels) and Frau Schraeder (played by Sarah Soetaert).  They gave some light entertainment and humour and also sang two songs that are not in the film.  Sarah especially impressed me with every mannerism and movement fitting the character.  Absolutely fabulous performance!  Mother Superior played by Jan Hartley also needs a mention as do all of the nuns. Absolutely terrific.

This showing offered us Lynden Edwards as Captain von Trapp.  He seemed a bit nervous at first but soon settled down into the role.  And of course, how do I talk about Maria who is played by Danielle Hope.  She is well known for winning the Over the rainbow show to find a star for Dorothy.  Danielle is a natural onstage and her acting is superb.  I did feel a little sorry for her having to wear such a dreadful wig (which makes her look like Jane Horrock’s from Little Voice) but she made Maria her own so much we almost forgot about the wig.
I was singing along to all the songs we know and love – this is a joyous musical and a good time is guaranteed.


No comments:

Post a Comment