Friday 8 May 2015

It cannot be true. Who voted Tory?

I was always taught not to discuss religion and politics.  It was to avoid heated debates or even arguments as people have strong feelings on these subjects.  However I have woken up this morning to the news that the conservatives have a majority and will be in power for another five years. I cannot just sit here and not speak up anymore.

This is the first election in my life that I have actively promoted voting for anyone who would help to get the Tories out and especially Labour as it seemed the only real option in England.  And Labour was the only party to actually knock on my door and spend time discussing my opinion of the issues.
Don’t get me wrong; I totally respect the democratic system and the fact people can choose to vote for which they think will benefit the country the most.  But looking at the evidence, how can those who voted Tory really understand what they have voted for?

I have worked in the charity sector since 2002.  So I have seen how charities function under both Labour and Conservative governments.  Let me say this loud and clear.  The conservatives have made people’s lives worse.  I have worked with those with physical disabilities, learning disabilities, Mental Health issues, visual and sensory impairments, long term illnesses and terminal illnesses.  I have personally seen and heard the stories of how people are truly suffering under the coalition. Some were so desperate they were on the phone to us for hours, crying and not knowing where to turn.  No wonder some chose to take their own lives. It is a heart-breaking situation.
Two of the charities I have worked for have folded recently under the coalition.  This is due to a lack of funds – and not because the work is not required.  With the social services departments under more pressure than ever and unable to provide the correct level of support, the vulnerable in our society really do need a voice.  I have always felt strongly about everyone needing an advocate now and again and working in this field has given me a real sense of job satisfaction.  The reason I think there are a lack of funds for charities are complex but a few suggestions are as follows:

·         The Big Society – yes remember that?  How people were going to give their time for free to help others?  Well all those volunteers need training, guidance and sometimes a DBS check (that used to be a CRB).  Volunteers do need managing.  We do not want to go back to the 1970s where no one was checked and we leave the vulnerable open to abuse.

·         Children in Need / Lottery – these are charities but exactly what do they do?  They get your money off you very easily because they are big and promoted on national TV.  But they don’t deliver any services other than distributing your money.  So now all those small local charities that used to get your money do not get it.  They struggle to shout about the good work they are doing.  And most cannot afford a professional fundraiser.  So the big charities get bigger and the small charities fold.

·         Austerity – yes people are poorer. People struggle to eat.  Struggle to buy their kids new shoes.  People are struggling.  So we cannot expect them to give to charity when they cannot afford to eat.  The British are some of the most generous people in the world for giving to charity but if they can’t afford to do it – who will?

I have personally been made redundant twice in the last two years.  Working in the charity sector means there is always a lack of money.  The money has to work twice as hard to make a difference.  I still feel passionately about helping others, but even I have to pay my mortgage.  I will take a job wherever I can get one – but my heart lies in the charity sector.  If you are a charity who needs an experienced and passionate volunteer manager – contact me!
But this blog is not about my asking for a job.  It is about those who need our support and compassion.  The conservative party lack compassion and really only care about the rich getting richer.  They are happy to watch people live on the streets as they cannot afford their mortgage or high private rents.  They are happy to take benefits off of those who cannot work to the point of starvation.  They are happy to watch people go to food banks.  Is this a Britain to be proud of?  Is this Great Britain?  It’s not great at all!

And finally when you thought things couldn’t get worse, Katie Hopkins will not be leaving the country as Labour didn’t win the election.  She is a good example of what is really wrong with the attitude of those who voted for the conservatives.
Today is a day that I am truly disappointed in those who chose not to vote.  Anyone who says ‘one vote won’t make any difference’ are so wrong.  We need change.  We need everyone to help us make this country a place where people want to live.  A place to be proud of.  A Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment