Tuesday 28 January 2014

Welcome to my world – Depeche Mode at LG Arena, Birmingham. 27.01.14


Welcome to my world – Depeche Mode at LG Arena, Birmingham. 27.01.14

I was excited about this gig.  I had not seen Depeche Mode live since 2009 (Masters of the universe tour) and was keen to see them again.  So I had patiently waited until now.
I need to confess to you…can you be my personal Jesus?  For many many years, I told people that I didn’t like Depeche Mode.  This isn’t true. I love them.  But I told people that as my ex-husband loved them.  I protested too much because I didn’t want to like what he liked. I was young.  But the truth is – Depeche Mode are better than ever.  They have stood the test of time and came up smelling of roses.  They continue to produce great albums which are on a par with the legendary Joy Division.  So that is my confession.  I do love Depeche Mode. I can say it loud and proud now.

I got a bit lost finding the LG Arena.  It was my first time to this venue and I ended up walking around the whole of the NEC twice before walking in the right direction!  Well at least I was building up my stamina for the gig!
The LG Arena is impressive.  Not quite as big as the O2 but big enough and with lots going on outside before you go in.  There was a band playing as you walked in.  A live band!  I don’t think I have ever been to a gig where there is a gig within a gig!  And even the security guards were friendly and helpful.  (I have been to venues that make you feel like a criminal – Hammersmith and Brixton come to mind), so it was refreshing to have friendly security at such a big gig.

And people seemed happy.  They were all happy to be at the last gig of the Delta Machine tour. And what a gig it was.
After buying up the merchandise, we headed straight into see the support act.  For some reason they had pulled the whole gig forward half an hour so I felt a bit sorry for Feathers as many people were still milling about outside not realising they were missing it.

Feathers are a dark electronic band with a female lead singer.  She was very good.  Actually they were a very good band and probably not appreciated with only the die-hard DM fans in the venue at the time.
But then you are welcomed into Depeche Mode’s world.  I feel Delta Machine is one of the best DM albums to date and the band played several tracks off the album, choosing to open with Welcome to my world.  The words to this are so touching.  I just adore this track.  I can almost hear it as a film score to a vampire film…

And if you stay a while
I'll penetrate your soul
I'll bleed into your dreams
You want to lose control

I weep into your eyes
I make your vision see
I'll open endless skies and right your broken wings.
Welcome to my world!

This was followed by the second track of the album, Angel.  (Do you see a theme developing?) Angel is dark and angry.  These tracks symbolise why DM are still so successful internationally after 30 years.  They provide a way to feel, when you feel low, feel angry, feel angst.  These are the songs to fill your heart.  This is not the pop music ‘Just can’t get enough’ DM of old.  This is a darker DM looking to fulfill your every desire to full satisfaction.  I want to be satisfied completely.
The set list was excellent, giving full satisfaction for new fans and old.  The big hits were there such as Enjoy the silence, Policy of truth and Personal Jesus, of which Dave Gahan had the whole crowd trying to ‘reach out and touch faith’.  Dave is the minister and knows how to work his flock. We all have faith in DM.

Martin Gore sang some songs on his own.  Martin has a pure voice (in contrast to Dave’s dark sexy tones) and it was just beautiful to hear him sing Slow (from Delta Machine) and when he sang shake the disease I was nearly in tears feeling his pain.
Here is a plea
From my heart to you
Nobody knows me
As well as you do
You know how hard it is for me
To shake the disease
That takes hold of my tongue
In situations like these
Understand me


I want to understand you Martin!
The truth is that if you go to a Depeche Mode gig, you are going to have a good time.   They are professional, know how to work a crowd and certainly put in the effort on stage.

To the ladies sitting behind me or Rules for a DM gig. I came to a DM gig to enjoy myself.  Enjoying myself means, standing, dancing, singing, cheering, clapping and generally letting the band know I am loving what they are doing.  To say I am being inconsiderate cause I chose to stand up and dance means you are either too old to be going to a Depeche Mode gig or you need to realise I was indeed very reasonable and you should try going to a New Order or Green Day gig to really experience gig life.  I am only 5ft and have never asked anyone to sit down at a gig.  Never!  The bands want you to get up and dance.  So if you plan to go to a gig that is not a classical concert – expect people to stand up in the seated seats!  Sit down for a Depeche Mode gig?  You gotta be joking!!!!
Set list



Intro (Excerpt from 'Welcome to My World')








Slow (Sung by Martin)

But Not Tonight (Sung by Martin)







Encore:

Shake the Disease (Sung by Martin)




 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment