Sunday 26 January 2014

Jason Donovan has kissed my hand and other reasons to go see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert!

Jason Donovan has kissed my hand.  Have I told you that?  It was a long time ago and yet people today are still interested to hear that story.

It is because of that story that my sister bought me tickets to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert starring Jason Donovan for my birthday.
So one rainy Saturday afternoon in January, we glammed ourselves up and went to Milton Keynes Theatre to see the show.
And what a show it is! Priscilla makes The Rocky Horror show look like a shy closeted virgin compared to this!
Firstly I have to warn you how much I am about to use the word ‘Fabulous’.  Cause it is absolutely and totally FABULOUS!
The costumes were second to none and I have never seen a show with so many costume changes!  There were cake costumes, ostrich and feather costumes, paintbrush costumes (I kid you not!) and many other outrageous costumes, fake eyelashes (longer than I have ever seen!) and a lot of pink!
Some of the one-liners were really funny – ‘Go take your hormones’ – comeback was ‘Yes I just saw a whore moan’.
Jason Donovan even got a line in saying ‘how he had always fancied Scott from Neighbours’.
I loved the opening lines, ‘Hello ladies and….er ladies.  Who doesn’t want to dress up in makeup and glitter and dance around…oh yes…the lesbians!’
It is a well written script, and was delivered well.
I did love the lead in to MacArthur Park.  Bernadette and Bob had been eating cake and drinking champagne.  They left the cake out in the rain…I don’t think that I can take it…as it took so long to bake it…and I’ll never have that recipe again. Oh no! Just brilliant!
And the bar scene at Broken Hill.  A very funny and well-choreographed scene with the red-necks and mullets.  The contrast with the drag queens just made it really funny. Fabulous!
The whole cast were fabulous but I need to give a special mention to the following for their outstanding performances.
Felicia (played by Graham Weaver) – he could really sing and was fantastic at camping it up. I just loved his performance.
Bernadette (played by Wayne Fitzsimmons) who carried the whole show!  He was a perfect Bernadette (even though he was the understudy for the role) and really showed us how talented he is. Outstanding performance and very moving in places.
The three girls who were like mermaids in the air doing all the singing were absolutely fabulous. They could really sing! Forget ‘The Voice’.  These ladies know a tune or two.
I also have to mention the young boy who played Benji.  He is not named in the programme but was outstanding in his role.  I know he will be big one day with that sort of performance under his belt.
In fact the only person who I didn’t think gave their all to their performance was Jason Donovan.  His dancing and singing was half-hearted at best.  He really looked like he was struggling with his performance and at the end he said he was exhausted and glad there was only one more show to do.  Jason – that is not the way to keep your fan-base! You should always give 100% or just not do the show.  I know he is better than that as I have seen him in other performances.  It looked like he was frightened to camp it up too much.  All he did was to show how talented the other performers are around him.
I totally loved the show. It’s the most camp and outrageous show around. But just don’t see it with Jason in it!
PS. Did I mention they had my lipstick on?!  My lipstick from the Clothes Show.  You don’t remember?  The photos never lie! ;)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Honest review. My wife and I were sitting in front of you. She hopes your high opinion of Jason is still intact after all he is twice the age of most of the cast. p.s. your singing was not as bad as your sister said it would be !

    ReplyDelete