Thursday 9 January 2014

It's Panto season! Snow White and the seven dwarves.


It was a show like no other.  Snow White is my all-time favourite Disney show and I was delighted to hear it was this year’s panto at Milton Keynes Theatre.  I was doubly delighted to hear that Kev Orkian was going to be one of the stars.  I had seen him a few years before and remember how much he made me laugh so I was really looking forward to it.

 We had stalls (row cc so very near the front of the stage) and despite it being a Monday night in January, it was a warmish evening with not much rain.  So of to the panto we went. Oh no we didn’t. Oh yes we did! (What?!  Too early?!)

The performers were brilliantly cast and although I don’t think Snow White lends itself as easily to panto as ‘Cinderella’ or ‘Aladdin’ does, it was a good panto, full of a range of songs, dances and comedy.  I know I am getting old when the first song sounded like The Clash’s ‘Should I stay or should I go?’ but turned out to be a song by One Direction called ‘Live while we’re young’. (I hope Mr Cowell has paid the duties for stealing the song!).

Kev Orkian did not let me down.  He made me cry so much (with laughter) I am sure he could hear me.  My favourite bits of Kev were:

·         Gagging at the ugly woman

·         Commenting on the trees moving (It was painted scenery)

·         The song with the prince about being all alone

·         And finally…he brings kids onto the stage and ad-libs with them.  I couldn’t help but laugh at the poor kid who got a jigsaw puzzle in this day and age. He just hugged her and the whole audience felt sorry for her.

Kev is a true professional and I would highly recommend going to see him if you get the chance. He is just brilliant! I know he is also a talented pianist but we didn’t see that in this Panto.  Oh no we didn’t!

Although the show was very funny – the thing that was the funniest and what we will remember for a very long time to come, was the ‘Mr Smelly’ that my son had to sit next to (well I couldn’t sit next to him or I would gag). When I say he smelled. He SMELLED!! It was so bad I could taste it and felt I had a tissue out to cover the smell for most of the show.  My nose had been violated by the stench of that man.  He obviously wasn’t homeless as he had paid for a ticket and had a mobile phone.  But he was alone.  I just hoped people didn’t think we were with him or that we were the ones that smelt.  This wasn’t just a smell of B.O., it was the smell of someone who hadn’t washed in weeks or months. The last time I had smelt anyone that bad was in middle school where a boy on my table smelt the same.

When the wicked queen talked about snow white drawing her last breath, I knew how Snow White would feel.  I was gasping for breath and had to go out in the break, not for a drink but for some fresh air.

Just before the second half I got talking to the lady sitting behind me. (Behind you!!!Oh come on this is panto-season!)  She moved up a seat cause he smelt and got her perfume out and sprayed him with it.  It didn’t help much but I couldn’t stop crying with laughter.  I don’t think I would have the nerve to do what she did but was so grateful to her for trying.  I felt her and I carried the audience this night as many of them didn’t shout out much and didn’t stand up to dance.  I believe I was the only one standing up and dancing but this is nothing new!

Jennifer Ellsion is a talented singer and looked fabulous.  I loved her dress and she did make a very good wicked queen.  I just wish she would leave more time for the booing – otherwise we miss what she is saying.  Snow white was played by Kate Stuart and she had a lovely singing voice.  She didn’t seem hugely confident and I wish she had interacted with the audience more to get them to warm to her.  When Herbert was about to stab her in the woods the only person shouting no was the woman behind me. (Behind you!!!)  The prince was played by Shaun Dalton and he could sing and was very good at playing the slightly dumb prince.

However the other outstanding stars of the show were the seven dwarfs. I don’t know if it is still politically correct to say dwarves, but they were professional actors and were so good at portraying their individual characters.  I know Warwick Davis needs no introduction – he has been in everything including Star Wars and Harry Potter.  Well he didn’t get where he is today by not being a very talented actor – and my personal favourite of his in the show was when he did the Elvis impersonator songs.  I never saw that coming and boy was he great!  It was a total joy to watch.  I do believe I was the only one dancing to his ‘suspicious minds’ and wish I had brought some knickers to throw at him!

I did love all the dwarves. It was nice to see real actors play these roles rather than children and as professional actors they really brought the characters to life. I did recognise most of them from Star Wars and Labyrinth – they are true veterans.  I had seen Danny in the pub across the road a week before and starred at him. I hope he realised it was because I had recognised him from the movies. I just wasn’t brave enough to go over and say hello. I do regret that now. I’m sorry Danny!

I also have to give a mention to the dancers.  Thriller was absolutely fabulous. Michael would have been proud of you.  I wanted to get up with you and join in.  It was perfectly executed.

All in all it was a very good show.  I did miss men in drag doing ugly sisters or Aladdin’s mum but it was lovely to see a Panto where everyone had talent and wasn’t just in it cause years ago they might have been on the TV!  So a huge thank you to all the cast and crew for such an entertaining evening.

However – I was so glad to get away from the seat and breathe again. I carry a big handbag but never thought I would need to carry Febreze.  We got home and bathed as soon as we could!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment