Tuesday 20 March 2012

John Carter

John Carter
Where do I start? If you like this genre of film, in theory you should like this. I need to clarify that this book is over 100 years old so please do not think it is stolen from Star Wars – Star Wars stole it from John Carter!

It is a bit fragmented and takes its time to get going, (is it a western?, period piece? Sci-fi. Etc)
but once you find yourself on Mars, you really are transformed into another world.

The story is about a man called John Carter (I think a better title would have improved box office revenue), who has found himself a cave of gold…and so much more. The monsters are brilliant and really enjoyable. The story goes at a good pace and you forget that this is someone telling a story from a diary. The Tharks are stunning and stand alone as a race of monsters. This is exactly how Jar Jar Binks should have been!

I loved the ending (which I won’t spoil)…for me the only thing wrong with this film is the script. I found it wooden and basic. There could be much more humour and dry wit in there, instead of just saying what you know is basic dialogue. But that is my only criticism. I think this film will
grow on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment