Saturday 11 February 2012

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace(1999)

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace(1999) 3D (or not 3D – that is the question!)

This is not my favourite film in the Star Wars (it is in fact my least favourite) but I decided to try it in 3D to see if it made any difference to my enjoyment. After paying extra for the 3D element, I remembered why this was such a terrible film. Too many droids, Natalie Portman trying to decide if she is English or American and of course the absolutely dreadful Jar Jar Binks. He ruins what could be a reasonable film for me.

Anyway you know the story, Naboo is not being protected by the trade federation and two Jedi’s are sent to try to negotiate. Liam Neeson is very watchable as Qui-Gon Jinn. My favourite Parts are the pod race “It doesn’t matter what planet you are from; that’s gonna hurt!” and I do love how many syllables Queen Amidala fits in when she says "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee!” (talk about inflection).

I am also very uncomfortable that young Anakin Skywalker and Queen Amidala have an unhealthy age gap between them yet we all know they get together later in the series of films. Is anyone else in agreement with the fact that if an older person in authority took advantage of a child we would be outraged? (Maybe this is why he ends up as Darth Vader?!!).

So is it worth going to see it in 3D? Are the effects amazing? No they are not. I felt there were so many missed opportunities for the effects to be something really amazing especially with the pod race. Subtle 3D just doesn’t do it for me; I am feeling ripped off as I do want to duck as the
pod comes flying out the screen at me! So get the set on Blue-Ray and enjoy it on your 40” at
home. You know you won’t be bothered by other people’s irritating children who don’t really like Star Wars but the parents wanted an excuse to see it again, or people eating crisps, popcorn and anything else that makes a ridiculous noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment