Sunday 5 February 2012

Chronicle (with spoilers)

This is a film about a guy called Andrew who to be honest has a rather crap life. His dad is a violent drunk that takes it out on him. His mum is seriously ill and he doesn’t have many friends and gets bullied at school. He is a loner and you do feel sorry for him. However the film is about what he films with his movie camera (which is what we are watching). His cousin, Matt, takes him to a rave and he, Matt and Steve (a very popular boy) discover a hole in the ground. (a bit cliché if you ask me!).

Suddenly they have superpowers. They start to have fun with them and their powers grow. But of course to teach us that superpowers would have a darker side, (why is there always a moral behind the story?) there are a few bad steps along the way. Steve is electrocuted in a storm with no lightening and Matt starts to suspect Andrew. (why is it always the black guy that dies first?!)

The trouble with this film is…I support Andrew even in the bad things he does. I think he was trying to improve his situation, and why couldn’t he be the popular kid after the talent show? His dad deserves everything he gets and frankly I can understand Andrew’s anger. I am sure this
is not what the makers of this film wanted me to feel but that is how it left me.

Michael Kelly (who plays Andrews dad) is very good as you really dislike his character. I do think they could have developed the relationship between Andrew and his mum but the film does focus on action and with the bittersweet humour it is a great action film.

If you liked Jumper, Push and the TV series Heroes you will like this. Watch out for the two really cool scenes, the Lego scene and the flying scene. Both were excellent where you are laughing and exploring the superpowers with them.

Now honestly, if you had a superpower what would it be and what would you do with it? Would you still want a superpower? I would. And it wouldn’t be a naff superpower like flying! I would want to read and influence people’s minds. Now that really is a super power!
­­

1 comment:

  1. I was contemplating whether or not to see this film.
    The trailors look good BUT there was something about it which I doesn't attract me, I can't quite put my finger on it.

    I would want the exact same superpower as you!

    ReplyDelete