Sunday 25 October 2015

Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair comes to Milton Keynes.

I have always had a diverse taste in style. I have never chosen to follow fashion but instead love individual pieces that no one else is wearing.

Coming from the post-punk generation and with not much money to my name, as a teenager I scoured the charity shops to find something I could adapt to my tastes.  I hand-sewed items, chopped them up and added accessories to make it stand out.  I once had a dress made from a set of curtains and a necklace from a shopping trolley.  And I’m sure you have all seen photos of my ‘Black Bride’ punk phase!
In recent years charity shops are not what they were and any items considered worth something are sold on eBay instead of the shop.  It stops a range of people going into charity shops (except for the poorest in our society) and I do think that charity shops need to re-think this strategy so they can reinvent themselves as a cool place to shop.  But thanks to Dawn O’Porter and a nostalgic view of all things retro – second hand clothes have rebranded themselves.  There are many shops in big cities now that call themselves ‘Vintage’ and what was once uncool has reinvented itself as cool again.

So it was with delight that I heard that Lou Lou vintage Fair was coming to Milton Keynes.  Milton Keynes being a new city (don’t get me started about the ‘Is it a town/city’ debate – that’s a blog for another day) does have lots of charity shops but doesn’t really do vintage.  In fact the whole ethos of Milton Keynes seems to be embrace the new and throw away the old.  This is certainly true of its architecture such as The Point, The Agora (Wolverton) and the sad demise of Bletchley Leisure Centre.  I don’t want Milton Keynes to become the Primark of the country. I want Milton Keynes to stand out and be proud to be different the same way my vintage items are.  Although I love vintage, I did wonder how successful vintage would be to others in Milton Keynes.  So on a very rainy Saturday in October; I headed over to find out more about what Milton Keynes shoppers could expect from vintage.
I found very friendly stall-holders.  I found a lot of quality vintage items and some new vintage inspired items, a chance to try out new hairstyles and some very delicious tea and homemade cake.  They even had cake forks and real sugar lumps!

The music was definitely vintage – mainly 1960s and I found myself singing along to almost every track.  Stalls were very clear on what their remit was and there was a range of vintage from 1940s coats; gloves of the 1950s and dresses from the 1960s.  I found smock tops and psychedelic dresses from the 1970s and a bit of sparkle and shoulders from the 1980s. Vintage really should be over 30 years old to call itself such but really its how you wear it that makes it special.  If you are old enough to remember the decade you are wearing – then pair that item up with a more modern item for a fresh look.
I might have been raining outside, but inside the sun was shining like those long hot summers we all remember.

I do hope Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair will visit Milton Keynes again – and those of you who love vintage make sure you put that date on your dance card!  







 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment