Friday 5 September 2014

The Man Who Sold The World - exclusive interview


2014 – So what’s the best gig of the year?  Prince?  Kate Bush?  Sorry you are wrong.   The best gig of the year hasn’t happened yet. But in September on four very special nights, some very talented people will be doing David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World album in full.
It is a rare and exclusive chance to hear the drums of Woody Woodmansy (Yes a real spider from Mars) play alongside the very talented Mr Tony Visconti, who will be playing bass on the night.

But that is not all.  Others involved are also very talented professionals and include Steve Norman from Spandau Ballet and Glenn Gregory from Heaven 17.  It will also feature Mick Ronson’s sister, Maggi.
Now I ask you..How often does a gig this unique and rare come along?  This is the sort of gig that you want to say  ‘I was there’.

I have heard Glenn sing ‘Boys keep swinging’ with Heaven 17 and he knocked it out the ball park.
And if I haven’t tempted you yet, exclusively to those going to the gigs is the opportunity to buy a special numbered limited edition picture disc signed by the band that is only available at the gigs? Want a ticket? Of course you do!

The Garage gig has sold out but there is still the Shepherds Bush gig (with Marc Almond) in London, another in Sheffield and Glasgow. You can buy the tickets here: www.ticketweb.co.uk
In the meantime…I asked a few of the band some questions….enjoy!

 
Paul Cuddeford
Involvement in the band: Occasional gob & Guitar
What is your favourite Bowie album and why?  Hunky dory – the first proper album I bought and subsequently wore it out.

How did you get involved with TMWSTW project?  James was busy with the Cult before Christmas for which I am grateful.
What does TMWSTW album mean to you personally?  A great album with Loud bass.

And finally...what is your favourite Bowie lyric?  ‘Falls wanking to the floor’.  Obviously.

Glenn Gregory
Involvement in the band: singer

What is your favourite Bowie album and why?
Oh it’s hard to choose… I love Young Americans because it’s such a cool album, the whole look and the change in musical direction was a surprise and inspiration at the time.  I think it’s probably the Bowie album that I listen to the most.  But then again, Aladdin Sane really made an impact on me when I was young.  It was an album that I played that my mom and dad didn’t like, that’s always a milestone record.  I like diamond dogs as well, oh and Station to Station and Low, and… Sorry that’s not been a very good answer has it?

How did you get involved with TMWSTW project?
I had been working with Tony Visconti on the Stephen Emmer, International Blue project.  I met Tony in Abby Road Studio’s, as I walked into the control room he was sitting at the desk mixing my voice.  It was such a pleasure to meet him and to be singing in the background as we were introduced was very cool.

Sometime later, I had a call from Stephen saying that Tony was wanting to talk to me about something, very intriguing … Later that day I found out what it was Tony wanted to talk to me about. He asked me if I would sing the songs for TMWSTW concert.  I said yes without thinking at all, what an amazing, and fantastic opportunity.  Later that day I received the full set list for the gig, I’ve been lyric cramming ever since.

What does TMWSTW album mean to you personally?
It’s a very influential album… I was very young, it was around that time I met Martyn and Ian (Heaven 17) we used to put it on after all night parties and drift off to sleep on someone’s floor whilst listening to it.  It was a favourite at the time and I’ve always loved it.

From this success, are there any plans to do any other Bowie albums in the future?
I don’t think it’s the kind of thing I would continue to do, it was fantastic to be asked by Tony Visconti to take part in the recreation of TMWSTW but I’ll have to go back to my day job, there’s a new Heaven 17 album to write.

And finally...what is your favourite Bowie lyric?  All of them.

Maggi Ronson 
Involvement in the band: Backing Vocals and Recorder

What is your favourite Bowie album and why?
TMWSTW of course.  Rats/Ronno meets David Bowie.  Actually Hunky Dory.  Great songs and Michael amazing arrangements and guitar work

How did you get involved with TMWSTW project?
Having the privilege and blessing of being Micks sister I guess and knowing Woody since I was knee high to a grasshopper and of course singing is my passion and singing BVs for Holy Holy is so much fun.  Not forgetting my good friend Major Tom who put it all together

What does TMWSTW album mean to you personally?
TMWSTW was like listening to  The Rats/Ronno Hull band, the one I'd grown up listening to in my childhood meets David Bowie, an extra ordinary individual with amazing songs, lyrics and persona.  All the Madmen is one of my favourite Bowie songs and it was like a whole new world/universe was opening up to me.

And finally...what is your favourite Bowie lyric?
Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly and the Spiders from Mars.

Photo reproduced with kind permission (c) Paul Fryer.






 

2 comments:

  1. Pant wettingly stupendous. The excitement just mounts. Taking extra pants on 22nd as expect to pee myself with excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Silver Bear. I am reviewing the gig at The Garage, so it will be even more exciting by 22nd! :)

    ReplyDelete