Thursday 18 September 2014

Holy Holy its a Spider from Mars! (and other special guests)

I had a dream. I dreamt that I got to see the last Spider from Mars, Woody Woodmansey play with legendary producer Toni Visconti a David Bowie set. My dream came true last night.

My dream was not as good as the reality. For how could I have ever dreamt I could be so lucky to not only see that, but to include the hugely talented Glenn Gregory from Heaven 17, who has an amazing voice. I see Heaven 17 a lot, and have heard Glenn sing ‘Boys Keep Swinging’ so I had huge confidence that he could do this along with the Holy Holy band. I also have to mention Steve Norman, a huge talent that you probably know best from being in Spandau Ballet. He is stylish and talented playing sax and guitar and is part of the band.  Paul Cuddeford rocked his guitar too.  Add to this Mick Ronson’s sister Maggi and Lisa Ronson too…and you have the makings of a very special night.
I was already beyond excited for this gig. The first time ever that this legendary group of people will come together to perform ‘The Man Who Sold The World’ in its entirety.

I headed up to the Famous Cock (yes it’s a pub opposite the Garage venue) and counted the amount of Bowie T shirts! What a fantastic group of people with exceptional taste in music.
There was a massive queue to get in and I was surprised at how small the venue was.  Everyone crowded in and the excitement grew. It was hot. It was sweaty. No one cared. We all knew we were about to witness history being made.  Just those first few notes of Width of a Circle and I knew I was where I belonged.

I know I am writing a review but it is so hard to explain to those who did not experience it how life changing it was.
And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, Marc Almond from Soft Cell comes on to sing ‘After all’. Now I have a story about Marc.  Many years ago I wrote to Jim’ll fix it to ask to meet him.  I have never seen him sing live and he is one of very few people I had on my list that I hadn’t seen.  I was almost in tears at his amazing performance.  I cannot say enough thank you’s to whomever made it possible for him to be there…but thank you from me. I knew he was going to do the Shepherds Bush gig next week, but not heard he was doing this one. I was blown away.

Lisa Ronson came on to do ‘Lady Stardust’ and boy can that girl sing. Not only is she beautiful and looked stunning in her dress, but she can really sing and did an amazing version. Can I go so far as to say it was better than Bowie’s? (I am trying hard not to be blasphemous) but probably yes.  She was amazing.
Glenn is so good. Glenn can deliver. Each song was sung with passion and love. Glenn is a big Bowie fan himself and really had the crowd going. Glenn also brings his great sense of humour to the show. When he asked the band what was the next song, I shouted out ‘Five years’. He winked at me and said they weren’t doing that one and said let’s do ‘let me go’ instead. ‘Oh no wrong gig’ he joked! I had been lucky enough to hear a private practice of Five Years and Glenn knows it is one of my all-time favourites, so I did have an inkling they were going to do it.

Of course I cannot talk about this gig and not mention two of the legends on that stage. I cannot tell you enough how impressed I was with Woody’s drumming. He really can give it some! He seems a humble person and that just made us love him all the more.
And of course the other legend, Tony Visconti. He can sure play Bass and has a great sense of humour too. I was so chuffed when he blew me a kiss. I felt quite special.

But the whole gig was special. You don’t get gigs like this very often. I had already said that in my interview a few weeks ago. I told you all to buy a ticket. If you didn’t you only have yourself to blame for missing not only the gig of the year…but the gig of a lifetime!
Thanks to Mark for the photo!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment