Monday 2 June 2014

OAD 5th anniversary featuring Midge Ure (acoustic set)


OAD 5th anniversary featuring Midge Ure (acoustic set)

It was Only After Dark’s fifth birthday. It was also my anniversary.  I had discovered this wonderful club a year ago.
Once again it was sold out and packed out.  You couldn’t move for it was full of people with style and class.  The darkling’s were out in force.
Midge was to come on early so unusually this meant the club opened up at 8pm.  We got there about half past seven to find out that it was happy hour. Boy did that make us happy!
We went in early to get a good spot but that didn’t stop me from dancing to ‘The Bunker’ (Bollock Brothers) while we were waiting for Midge to come on.
I had seen Midge with Ultravox last November when they supported Simple Minds.  I had written back then how impressed I had been with Midge’s vocals.  (See that blog here: http://jasminestorm09.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/where-is-my-glittering-prize.html)  How he owned the room.  (And that room was the O2!).  How different would a small crowd of 200 be?  What would an acoustic set be like when we are used to hearing his songs with electronic backing?  I was about to find out.
He came on and sang a range of tracks including Fade to Grey (he was in Visage), many Ultravox tracks including, Dancing with tears in my eyes, The Voice, Love’s great adventure and Vienna, and some of his own solo stuff such as If I was and No Regrets.  He even did a riff from an old Slick track.  This man has style and fits into OAD perfectly.
He gave an excellent vocal performance….
but much more than that. He played guitar.  Not Ziggy but Midge!  He played it amazingly well.  A very talented man.
…But not only that, he was funny and charming.  He had the crowd eating out of his hand.  This must be challenging for a man who is used to being in a band.  And playing to a small crowd who he could see the faces of.  (Mine being right at the front!)
And finally he gave a rendition of Lady Stardust.  He told the story of the night he was at the Blitz Club when David Bowie came in.  He said everyone had thought themselves cool until that moment.  David Bowie is my personal hero and I loved hearing this story.  He played an excellent version of Lady Stardust and I was truly impressed.
Impressed with his professionalism.  Impressed with his sense of humour.  Impressed with his talents.  What a performance.  What a gig.  What a night!
My only disappointment was that Midge did not meet his fans afterwards.  We have been very lucky and spoilt with many specials at OAD having the artists meet you for a photo and signing.  I know I was not the only person who would have loved a photo and a word with Midge.
Well Midge…I didn’t get to speak to you directly…so here are my words to you.  I loved your performance.  Come back and visit us again soon.
After Midge had gone, we all danced and danced all night.  I love OAD.  I love my friends there, (I wrote a blog about that: http://jasminestorm09.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-girl-who-daydreamed.html) and I am proud to be a part of it.
A huge thank you to David, Sara and Sam for all their hard work so I can travel back in time once a month.  Long may OAD reign!
 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment