Monday 31 March 2014

Equality for all or why you should support gay marriage.


On Saturday I went to a wedding reception.  The couple were very much in love and it was obvious to all the guests attending.
However this was no ordinary wedding.  This was a very special wedding on a very special day.  Saturday 29th March 2014 was the first day that same sex couples can actually marry each other.

It has been a long hard struggle to get here.  I feel in years to come people will question why it took us so long to recognise true equality.  They may ask why, for many years, we only offered a partnership and not a marriage for many years.  I wouldn’t know what to say to them.  All I can say is I am now proud that it is now an equal option for all couples, no matter what your sexual preference, to marry each other if they wish to.

To those who are not happy with this – this too was noticed at the wedding as there were security guards there.  The only wedding I have ever been to with security.  But they were worried about reactions of those who just don’t seem to understand what equality is.
So to those with religious Christian beliefs I say this - Jesus loved everyone.  He accepted everyone for who they are.  You cannot just pick and choose bits out of the bible you wish to use to support your bigoted beliefs.  And I am not an atheist.  I am a Christian.  I went to church for 15 years – barely missing a week.  I was supportive of Christian beliefs until I realised how judgemental some Christians are and how they use their beliefs to judge people.  Not just LGBT community, but also anyone who just didn’t fit in with their views.  I stopped going to church as my beliefs are that of accepting everyone.  And it definitely isn’t the case with the church.  And they should question why the congregation is less and less every year.  It’s not just about religion.  It’s about how does the church fit in with life today?  If the law says that same sex couples can marry – why should you say it is any different?  Who are you to judge? 

And to those who don’t object for religious reasons, but just because you want to object I say this – objecting to equality says more about you as a person than anything else.  And it is not a positive statement!
The wedding was wonderful and I am so pleased for Steve* and Mark* and wish them every happiness for the future.

One day I hope you will all join me in this wish.

*names have been changed.

 
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment