Thursday 26 November 2015

China Crisis play OAD!

I have to confess I don’t really know China Crisis well.  Okay okay. Not at all.  But as a darkling and regular to the Only After Dark I was going along as it was the last club night of the year.

Unusually for OAD, the night started earlier than expected as China Crisis were due on at 9.30pm.  I bumped into Gary before he started the show and he asked about the club.  ‘Do people dress up?’ he asked me.  I just stood there with my hand on my hip and said ‘whatdya think?’  ‘Yes I did notice’ he said.  What a nice down to earth guy I thought.  And actually that sums up Eddie and Gary pretty nicely.  They are both decent guys who spent the whole night interacting with the crowd, offering a meet and greet with photos and chatting and signing with each person.

Musically they are very talented.  Their songs are like eating a cupcake with icing on it.  A real pleasure.  They played a range of their well-known songs including Black Man Ray, African and White, Working with fire and steel, Christian, Wishful Thinking and King in a Catholic Style.  They also a few tracks from their new album including Fool and Autumn in the neighbourhood.  They also did a fantastic cover of the Carol King song, It’s too late.  And as it was founder of the Only After Dark Club’s birthday, they did a special request for David with Arizona Sky.  

What made this gig special is Gary and Eddie’s engaging personalities.  They are funny and love to interact with the audience.  In such a small venue it feels personal as if they are talking straight at you.  Gary made a comment about how he moved his mike a few inches to the left as he could see his reflection and it looked like his dad singing back at him.  In his head he is still young and cool.  Well Gary you do look good and I really enjoyed his unique dancing style. I do love unique.  The rest of the night was full of great music and the dance floor was full all night.  Only After Dark is a unique club where the weird and wonderful meet.  And I am proud to say I am one of them. If unique is what you look for – you may want to come and join us Darklings.

If you want to know more about Only After Dark, please join the Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/227889111357/
 
More Photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasminestormie/albums/72157659176688084

Photo of me and China Crisis published with kind permission from Stage Dive Photography.
 
 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment